Saturday 11 August 2012

A lesson in the importance of preparation

I waltzed onto my ethiopian flight from HK airport and soon as I reached the door of the plane I wanted to leave. Really really leave.
And I think if I was on my own I would have just turned around right there and then and gone home. But I was with the other two girls so we got on.
The plane was nothing like I've ever seen before. Al said it must of been one of the first commerical models created- prob very true. It was one of those moments where you are like...if mum and dad could see me now they would kill me!
It had an overpowering smell that was nothing like the sterility of most international flights and if India hits you as soon as you get off the flight, Ethiopia hits you as soon as you get on a flight for the destination.
As we were getting ready to fly off, the air hostesses (who all looked like they should still be in school) were bustling around with oxygen and I felt I had to ask what it was for, because urely my imagination is more wild than reality. She said it was for thier patient.
It turned out that at the back of the plane they had a very sick ICU pt in a cubicle on a stretcher. The pt had fluids running, catheter, was on O2, monitoring...
I guess as ethiopian airlines is the only airline that flies into Rwanda there is not much choice.
There were two men wearing shirts that said Bangkok hospital, so I assume they were paramedics/docotrs thransferring the pt. So if the pt suddenly went downhill, what happens? Do we land in Sundan?
All 3 of us promptly knocked ourselves out on temazepam and woke to a thundering crash as the plane landed roughly in Ehtiopia.
Now I am at Ethiopia airport which is definately not a 24hr airport and al looks forward to a 18hr stopover here on her own on her return flight. Great planning. On all of our parts.
Also I didn't know how to use the toilets in Ethiopia.

1 comment:

  1. Lol Temaz, really?! Naww, keep safe and fingers crossed it all gets better and u start to enjoy yourself. Also, this is so much fun, keep writing and updating us :) Safe travels Tas, Good luck Xx

    ReplyDelete